Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Research Project Draft

Abstract

For my project investigation, I will use a computer program to create an animation for my model. I had designed a multi-purpose dorm room furniture piece last semester with several movable parts. In presenting it, I would show a still image of the digital model with open parts and then with closed parts. It would have been beneficial to show the parts moving. I would like to create a digital model of this furniture that can be animated to move. I will also make it interactive. I will use a computer program to allow you to click on different parts to open and close them. This will help others understand the design much better.
The final product will be a nicely rendered model of the dorm furniture with an animation. The animation will show how the drawers pull out and how the desk and bed fold down.

Introduction/ Project Description

Animation from the digital world is used in video games, movies, and many other applications. We see it all the time but rarely know how it is done. Animation in general uses a series of images that when put together, they appear in our minds as movement. Before computers, animation had to be created entirely by hand. Each and every clip must be drawn out. Now, with computers, keyframes can be made, and the computer can fill in the inbetween frames through interpolation.

3D modeling programs used in architecture and design have an animation capability. Most animations in these programs are walk through animations. Several views of the scene are chosen, and the computer will fill in the motion between these views. Other types of animation can make specific parts of a model move, much like the characters in movie animation. This is the type of animation I will learn for my project. Using my furniture design form last semester, I will create an animation to show how tBoldhe individual parts move.

Method

In order for me to create an animation, I must first learn how to in a 3D modeling program. Because I already know how to model in Form Z, I have chosen to use this program to make my animation. I will use the Form Z manual, and help from Sean in the lab to learn how to animate my model.

The first step I must take is to import my SketchUp model into Form Z. I have created layers and groups in SketchUp, but I must allow time for any errors in the transfer. I will most likely have to edit pieces of the model and add new textures to it. If the imported model looks to be too much work to fix, I will have to rebuild the model in Form Z.

After I have a model with appropriate groups and layers, I will be ready to animate the pieces. The rest of my process and process images will be determined as I learn the program and complete the project.

Results/ Outcome and Conclusions

Results and conclusions will later be determined after I have completed the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment